Today was very relaxing. We slept in, which felt great. Jet lag has been harder on me this trip... I haven't been feeling well. My body is having a difficult time adjusting and I've been feeling sick, so it was nice to have a day with basically no agenda besides going to church.
We went to the international ward from 2-5. I loved it! Everything was spoken in English. There were so many members from all over the world! We heard accents from England, Africa, Italy, Portugal, Germany, America, and some others. There were also investigators from Afghanistan (refugees). Church was very uplifting, and everyone was so welcoming. After church, we ate dinner, and I went to bed (still wasn't feeling too well).
Monday, May 16
Today was a fun day of site-seeing! (I've also been feeling a little better.) We woke up early and headed for Cologne. (Fun fact! Eau de Cologne, the scented perfume, originated here!)
I really wanted to see the Cologne Cathedral, and it did not disappoint. It is massive! Huge! The architecture is gothic, and construction began in the 13th century.
Today is a religious holiday in Germany, called The Day of Pentecost. The cathedral had a special Mass going on, with a live orchestra and beautiful music! We climbed to the top of the bell tower, and the bells rang while we were at the top!
In front of the cathedral... (I'm wearing mittens because it's windy and my hands get cold!)
View from the top of the bell tower...
The cathedral...
The whole gang...
Inside the cathedral...
Picture from Google of the entire Cologne Cathedral...
We also visited the Aachen Cathedral. (Also very big.) This cathedral is OLD (oldest cathedral in Northern Europe). It has been used since the 800's. The inside of this church was amazing! I love how well-preserved these old cathedrals are.
Picture from Google of the entire Aachen Cathedral...
Tonight we are staying at a hotel near a castle we are visiting tomorrow.




























No comments:
Post a Comment