Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Germany- cruisin' the Rhine!

After two long red-eye flights, we finally arrived in Frankfurt, Germany! Jaren's parents were there to meet us and I was SO relieved that our luggage had made it too! (Luggage getting lost is always a concern of mine when traveling. I'm not sure why!)

It was so fun to see Jaren's parents! Jaren and I were SO tired, though, from 2 days of no-sleep (it was very difficult to sleep on the planes) and jet-lagged (Germany is 8 hours ahead of the time in Utah). His parents took us to their apartment (which I LOVE) and we went straight to sleep. When we woke up, we ate some dinner, and went to sleep again!

Wednesday morning we woke up early and left for a Rhine river cruise. I watched the episode where Rick Steves (a travel guy on PBS) cruised the Rhine and I could not wait to go! The cruise lasted a total of 6 hours and it did not disappoint. I loved the scenery and all the castles. Germany is gorgeous and very much like how I'd imagine a fairy-tale land to look. We passed 15 castles along with some other monuments and 11 little towns. Each town has their own church and the bells ring on the hour. The towns were very quintessential-Germany (see pictures below).

Afterward we rode a gondola up to the Niederwaldenkmal monument. (A monument built when Germany was unified.) The monument is giant! It is built above the Rhine river, and the view is beautiful.

During the day we ate delicious food (including a German pretzel from a bakery) and before we went back to Jaren's parent's apartment, they showed us some Roman ruins near their apartment. Roman ruins are found all throughout Europe so it was pretty cool to see them so close to where we are staying!

I am in love with Europe already.








Some castles seen along the Rhine...




Quintessential Germany...


Riding the gondola up...


They grow wine above the Rhine! (The vineyards go on for days...)



Beautiful view of the Rhine River...



Niederwald Monument...


Roman ruins...


Jaren's parent's apartment...





No comments: