We thought it was going to rain today, but it didn't! The sky was overcast with the sun occasionally making its appearance. Perfect weather for hiking! Out of all the places I have hiked (in Utah, Montana, and Canada) I think hiking around here has been my favorite. This area is SO beautiful!
After breakfast we hiked up the mountain to the salt mine. (You can either take the funicular up- which is what most people do- or hike it.) The hike was breath-taking with spectacular views! The lake is so pretty and everything is so green- pictures don't do justice to the natural beauty here.
Once we arrived at the top, we decided to take the salt-mine tour. We weren't planning on doing the tour, but Jaren really wanted to. I didn't care either way but I'm so glad we did! The tour was so much fun! I really loved it and we learned so much. It was also very entertaining.
The Hallstatt salt mine is the oldest in the WORLD! It dates back to 5,000 BC! Scientists recently discovered the oldest staircase in Europe here, possibly the oldest in the world. It was discovered in February 2015. They are going to move it to a science museum, but we got to see it today! The highlight of the tour is sliding down further into the mountain on wooden slides. At the end they take you out of the mountain on a little train that goes pretty fast!
We had to wear special miners' clothes.
The entrance to the mine. (I look like I have a secret in this picture!)
The fun slide...
The oldest staircase in the world...
Once the tour was over we went on another hike to a waterfall! We accidentally took a wrong turn and ended up at a place called Gletschergarten and it was amazing! There were several emerald pools! Afterward we found the correct trail and made it to the waterfall- only there were several waterfalls. SO pretty! I just loved our hikes! Jaren and I were talking about how it felt like we were in Rivendell or Lothlorien from Lord of the Rings (cheesy, I know, but we really did)! It felt like we were in a world from a movie or book!
On our way back we went in the church and bone chapel. The bone chapel was creepy! It gave me the heebee jeebees!
Afterward we headed back to our hotel and walked in and out of the little shops in the village. We ate dinner at the restaurant in our hotel and it was delicious!
My dinner... The vegetable plate with a fried egg. It sounds weird but I loved it.
My dessert- rich, delicious chocolate mousse. SO yummy! (I loved it so much I wish there was more.)
Tomorrow we head to Venice. I loved our time in Hallstatt. I'm so glad we came here!







































No comments:
Post a Comment