Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Versailles

Every place Jaren and I have visited in Europe we have loved, and as we leave we always wish we could spend more time there! Well, in Paris... I REALLY wish we had more time! I. Love. Paris!!!!! 3 days here just isn't enough. I've decided Jaren and I will be back in Paris at some point!

Today we went to Versailles. Versailles is enormously gigantic! I did not realize how big it was until today... The gardens go on and on and on! People who have been to Paris before told us to spend a full day here, and I'm so glad we did! 

The chateau (palace) was built by Louis XIV who considered himself the "Sun King." He felt that because of his power and kingship, he was like the sun and therefore warmed his subjects. He made Versailles his residence instead of the Louvre, and Versailles became the place of his government. Afterward, Versailles was the cultural center of Europe and set all the trends! All the kings in Europe wanted to reign with complete power like Louis XIV and live in a magnificent palace like him! Everything was decorated in the elaborate, over-the-top baroque and rococo styles, along with some of the neo-classical style.

The chateau's exterior (so big I couldn't fit it in one picture, so this is just a part of it)...


The interior...

The chapel...

The chapel ceiling...

Various rooms...








The famous "Hall of Mirrors" (crowded!)...







The gardens go on and on and on! Seriously, the gardens were like a city of their own, they go on for miles! They are beautiful!



It's like a huge maze!...






The orangerie... Louis XIV impressed everyone by growing oranges in Versailles.


Louis XIV had several man-made lakes and ponds! One of the lakes, the "grand-canal" is a mile long and people can take canoes out.



We loved the musical fountains, they were impressive!...


We ate lunch in a cafe located inside the gardens (there are several restaurants). It was delicious, and so fun because the restaurants are tucked away in the walls of the gardens. Also, French food is the absolute winner in my book! Everything is so good!

My crepe...

Jaren's upside-down caramelized apple pie...

After lunch we visited the Grand Trianon. Louis XIV built a "mini-Versailles" and would stay there a few nights a week. It was a place of escape, where he could get away from the pressures of palace life. I loved the Grand Trianon! I liked it better than the main chateau. It's also huge, but small compared to the other palace.

It's pink! (It is also a huge building and this is just a small part of it...)




I loved how the Grand Trianon was decorated on the inside (softer colors than the main chateau)...




The mini "Hall of Mirrors"...


Even further into the gardens is the Petit-Trianon. Louis XV (1715-1774) built this for his mistress. It was an escape from his escape. When Louis XVI became king (1774-1792), he gave it to his new bride, Marie Antoinette. It's an even smaller, tinier version of the chateau (but still big compared to everyday homes).


Inside...




Even further into the gardens is Marie Antoinette's Hamlet. This was my favorite place of Versailles. This is a fairytale world where Marie Antoinette would escape palace life and pretend live the life of a peasant. Not like the hard-working, hungry peasants that were everywhere in France but a simple fairytale country peasant. Her Hamlet was an actual working farm back then, and still has vegetables growing and animals today!





There are lots of animals there! We saw pigs, bunnies, goats, hens, roosters, and a dog!





We saw other places in the gardens too! Including Marie-Antoinette's Theater, the French Pavillion, and the Temple of Love.

As you can tell, the royalty withdrew further and further into their own, happy fantasy worlds of luxury while their subjects starved. The French subjects didn't like that very much. The revolution happened. Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette were overthrown. And... now we get to see these palaces!

Jaren and I had a great time wandering around and exploring the gardens today. The weather was sunny, and everything was just beautiful! Versailles is one of my favorite places we have toured.

Before we left Versailles, we ate an Angelina macaroon!


Coming home tonight we saw the Eiffel Tower sparkle. I just love it! Paris is such a fun city!


No comments: